11 Non-fiction Books about BLM that I plan to read (TBR) !!

Hello everyone. ðŸ–¤

My plan for June and every month going forward is to use my blog and my social media following to write and share posts about the Black Lives Matter movement and to use my passion for books to promote Black authors and educational books about racism and BLM. 

I am willing to admit that I have read very little non-fiction about racism in the UK or US, police brutality or anti-racism, but I plan to buy and read as many as I can from now on. All of the books that are going to feature in this post are books that have been recommended to me buy fellow bloggers or that I have seen on Twitter and Instagram posts and decided to research. Therefore I have not read any yet - this is in effect 
MY ANTI-RACISM TBR!!! It's quite long but there's so many amazing books that I have found that I want to share. 

....................

#1  'SO YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT RACE' - IJEOMA OLUO

This book addresses the topics of white privilege, police brutality, racist language and the Black Lives Matter movement. 

Said to be the book that answers the questions readers don't dare ask, Oluo is commended for her humour and bluntness within this sensitive and complex book. 

Amazon rating 4.8/5  Released: 8th February 2018


#2 'WAKING UP WHITE AND FINDING MYSELF IN THE STORY OF RACE - DEBBY IRVING

This book is a unique one on this list, as it is written by a white author! 

This is the story of Debby Irving's journey in diversity and anti-racism after noticing racial tensions in her personal relationship, teaching career and as an arts administrator. 

Amazon rating 4.5/5  Released: 9th January 2014


#3 'WHY I'M NO LONGER TALKING TO WHITE PEOPLE ABOUT RACE' - RENI EDDO-LODGE

'Every voice raised against racism chips away at its power. We can't afford to stay silent. This book is an attempt to speak'

This book discusses previously forgotten and eradicated black history and the links between class and race relations in modern Britain.

Amazon rating 4.6/5  Released: 8th March 2018


#4 'A MORE BEAUTIFUL AND TERRIBLE HISTORY: THE USES AND 
MISUSES OF CIVIL RIGHTS HISTORY' - JEANNE THEOHARIS

Theoharis tackles the fable that the civil rights movement is a symbol of US democracy. She takes many of the accounts and stories that are presented as legend from the movement, shows them in a truer and different light and shows the broader barriers of the movement.

Amazon rating 4.6/5  Released: 30th January 2018



#5 'WHEN THEY CALL YOU A TERRORIST' - PATRISSE KHAN-CULLORS & ASHA BANDELE 

This is a memoir written by one of the co-founders of the Black Lives Matter movement (Khan- Cullors) and alongside Bandele she argues that protesters cannot be terrorists - due to the fact they represent the vulnerable and act out of love. 

A story of 'survival, strength and resilience'.

Amazon rating 4.8/5  Released: 14th January 2020
 

#6 'THE WARMTH OF OTHER SUNS' - ISABELLE WILKERSON

The untold, true history of the black citizens who moved North and West for a better live (The Great Migration).

Having interviewed and gathered resources from more than a thousand people, Wilkerson has written the most 'bold, remarkable and riveting' truth of the treacherous and exhausting great migration.

Amazon rating 4.8/5  Released: 7th September 2010 

#7 'THE NEW JIM CROW: MASS INCARCERATION IN THE AGE OF COLOUR BLINDNESS' - MICHELLE ALEXANDER 

There is some what of a myth or ignorant view that the Presidential terms of Barack Obama signalled the start of colour-blindless in the US. 

However Alexander shows how extensive the problem of racism and the denial of civil rights still is in the US and the modern cast-system that has developed. 

Amazon rating 4.7/5  Released: 23rd February 2012


#8 'HOW TO BE AN ANTI-RACIST' - IBRAM X. KENDI

'NOT BEING RACIST IS NOT ENOUGH. WE HAVE TO BE ANTIRACIST'

Kendi is the founding director of Antiracism Research and Policy Center, and the main message of this book is that 'Neutrality is not an option'. Therefore this is the perfect read for right now!! 

Amazon rating  4.9/5  Released: 15th August 2019


#9 'THE COLOR OF LAW: A FORGOTTEN HISTORY OF HOW OUR GOVERNMENT SEGREGATED AMERICAN' - RICHARD ROTHSTEIN 

This book tackles racial zoning, community segregation, and the US government's support for anti-diverse behaviours. 

This book had been called 'essential' and absolutely vital to understanding 20th century US history. 

Amazon rating 4.8/5  Released: 23rd May 2018



#10 'WHITE FRAGILITY: WHY IT'S SO HARD FOR WHITE PEOPLE TO TALK ABOUT RACISM - ROBIN DIANGELO

This book for me is one of the most important list as it is about white people's reactions to accusations of racism and how it can serve to silence Black people from expressing that they have displayed a racist attitude. 

I've downloaded this on my Kindle and I can't wait to get started. 

Amazon rating 4.6/5  Released: 7th February 2019

#11 'HOW TO ARGUE WITH A RACIST' - ADAM RUTHERFORD


This is an insight into how science and history can be powerful in the fight against racism and why scientists shouldn't shy away from publishing opinions and research relating to race. 

Very helpful in understanding modern history of racism and stereotypes.

Amazon rating 4.3/5  Released: 6th February 2020


Okay, well done if you made it to the end of this really long but vitally important post. I am currently trying to get hold of and buy all of these books and I will then be reading them and reviewing across my blog, Goodreads, Instagram and Twitter; so make sure you're following my socials if you're interested in my thoughts on all these books.

Remember, the fight for equality goes on beyond the current events. Black Lives Matter is not a trend or temporary movement, we must continue to support and be active in the fight against racism until it is won. I pledge to continue using my blog to promote resources, education and to grow as an anti-racist every day!

..............

Until next time xxx











Comments

  1. Thank you so much for these suggestions. I'm definitely looking for more books to read on this topic so I'll definitely be referring back to this!

    Jenny
    http://www.jennyinneverland.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I'm glad that I can use my content and platform to help inform!! Thank you so much xx

      Delete
    2. Because I rarely, and I mean rarely, read books, I didn't even know most of these books existed. I might actually check some of these out when I have some free time

      Delete
    3. Awesome!! Some of them are actually quite short if that helps/. I'm really enjoying the ones I've started so far xxx

      Delete
  2. Thanks for compiling this list! There are a few that are already on my tbr (like why I'm no longer talking to white people about race and so you want to talk about race) but lots that I'd like to add to my tbr now! Such a great way of learning more about such an important topic! x
    www.lovemaisie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you managed to gain some recommendations from this list. I feel glad that this post achieved what I set out to do and I hope you enjoy and learn lots from the books you choose to read. I am enjoying my choices so much already !! xxx

      Delete
  3. Definitely trying to get more nonfiction books to read so thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Non-fiction is super powerful. I hope you enjoy and learn lots from what you choose :) xx

      Delete
  4. Some of these are on my TBR pile as well now, thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I hope you gain lots from reading them xxx

      Delete
  5. I've added these books to my reading list! I would also recommend 'Between the World and Me' by Ta-Nehisi Coates. I've just finished reading it and it was both heartbreaking and powerful

    Roni ♥
    www.myelevatedexistence.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the recommendation!!! I am going to look into the book further. I'm glad you gained some recommendations from this post. Thank you so much xxx

      Delete
  6. Great post!

    I think non fiction is such a good thing to try to read and i definitely don't read enough of it!

    www.raisingharry.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving non-fiction lately and I hope you will too!! Thank you so much xx

      Delete
  7. These all look like reall great books! I started listening to Me and White Supremacy which is so hard to listen to but so important to help realise what I have as a white person that I thought everyone would have. I really want to read The Colour of the Law and The New Jim Crow. This is a really great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have enjoyed what I've read of them so far. I will check out Me and Whit Supremacy and I might add it to my TBR. thank you so much xxx

      Delete
  8. Thank you for sharing these! Will have to give them a read to educate myself further.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so good to hear. A lot of them are on kindle and also available as audiobooks if that helps xxx

      Delete
  9. Great list! Totally agree that the movement is not a trend, it needs to incite change - it's about time!

    Anika | chaptersofmay.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to share content periodically so that education continues!!! It is totally about time xxx

      Delete
  10. This is such a great post, I have a lot of these books on my TBR and you're so right, this isn't a five minute trend, it is a change that NEEDS to happen! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have more BLM posts lined up so keep a look out for those - it's definitely not a trend where my blog is concerned!!! xxx

      Delete
  11. This is such an amazing list! This has definitely made me realise I need to read further and educate myself - thank you for continuing to raise awareness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you have found this inspiring!!! I wish you luck with any that you read. xxx

      Delete
  12. Great list! I recently finished Talking to Strangers, which has a lot to offer on the subject as well. Thanks for posting this list, such an important topic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many great suggestions and book recs I recently read So you Want to Talk about Race. I really loved it, I want to get too the Warmth of Other Suns soon. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! I am enjoying educating myself so far and finding so many great books! ENJOY!! xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

🧩 Hardback TBR 🧩

✨my classics tbr ✨

🧳 Moving back to university in Lockdown 🧳