Books I read in Lockdown: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (SPOILERS)

**"There is a plot, Harry potter. A plot to make most terrible things happen at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry this year!" (page 16)


So, following on from my Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone review (linked), it's time for me to review the Chamber of Secrets! This book is another one of my personal favourites from the series and one which I feel should not be underestimated. Now, I did a little bit of research before writing this review, into what people feel are the issues with this book and why they do or do not like it. The main criticism of this book that I found amongst readers is that they felt it to be the least important of the seven novels and that its plot is somewhat irrelevant, claiming it to have the least to do with the overall plot. Obviously I completely respect that people feel that way but I really couldn't disagree more and there are some super important elements of the Chamber of Secrets that do come in handy later on. 

Firstly, the Chamber of Secrets gives us much more insight into Voldemort.Through the diary we learn that Riddle lived in a muggle orphanage, where he would undoubtedly have received harsh treatment for being a wizard, and like Harry, was disconnected from the wizarding world when he was not at school. Also, whilst he turned from the good side to the dark side, this book shows just how ambitious he was as a younger wizard and we can see to some extent where his drive and success has come from, as well as his need for power and revenge. 

Secondly, this book is the first in which we get real hints regarding Horcruxes. Harry has his ability as a parselmouth explained and this identifies the connection between himself and Voldemort. We also discover in later books of course that it is in the chamber that the first of the horcruxes
(the diary) is destroyed.


Personally, one of the best things about this book is the prevalence of the Weasley family. They are all round loveable and funny and I love that Harry feels at home with them. There are some amazing descriptive passages in this book including the Burrow which just has a homely feel with its resident ghoul and "jumble of wellington boots and very rusty cauldron" (page 38) and is also home to some impressive domestic magic. Ginny especially gets a large plot line in this book and I feel it introduces her true character very well, outwardly shy and blushing yet strong and her experiences in this book are the start of her development into quite a gutsy character.

I also find that this book is the funniest of the series. This is partly down to the Weasleys; Fred and George's consistent teasing of Percy and Arthur's tendency to forget to inform Molly of his enchanted muggle objects create a really believable and fun family atmosphere. There is also humour in the irony of the flying Ford Anglia given its reputation as an old and fairly unimpressive car which just adds to the charm of the Weasley family. Molly's howler at the breakfast table is embarrassing but also a hysterical element to the world of wizarding post and has become quite an iconic moment in the franchise.

Other characters help to add humour to this book, especially Dobby the house elf and his hysterical shrieking and the incident with the pudding and even his ridiculous antics of beating himself with lamps create some unfortunate humorous moments. However, the character of Gilderoy Lockhart is undoubtedly the comic relief of this book (sorry Neville, you have been temporarily displaced) and his complete ineptitude combined with gushing confidence creates a pitied but hilarious character that I'm sure we can all relate to a real life example that we know! Also for the positives, this book has some really beautiful moments. The way in which Harry is accepted by the Weasleys will always warm my heart and restore my faith in the world, both muggle and magical. However, for me the most magical moment in towards the end of the book in which Dumbledore tells Harry that "Only a true Gryffindor could have pulled that out of the hat"(page 352) when he was in the chamber as it marks a significant point for Harry in his confidence as a Gryffindor.

Right, despite my passionate defence of this book at the beginning of this post, I do have two slight issues with this book - and anyway, a good review is always balanced! The more I re-read this book and in turn the older I get, the more I find Moaning Myrtle and unfortunately, Dobby, really draining. At first Dobby brings an element of the cute factor to the series and you feel a lot of sympathy for his desperate situation but gradually I have come to realise that he features a little too heavily and I really wish he didn't pop up after every eventuality. Myrtle was an amusing character when the series started out but now I just find that a character obsessed with a toilet to be slightly grating; other ghosts move about the castle, so she could too! Finally, a slightly smaller yet agitating element of this book. Riddle's diary reveals to us that at the time that the chamber was opened before - 50 years previously - Dumbledore was teaching at Hogwarts and had a reasonable relationship with Tom. How is it that Dumbledore knows nothing about where the chamber, or what monster is inside it? Did he not investigate in the same way that Hermione does to discover key details about the chamber? Then, when the some occurrences begin in, Dumbledore appears to sit back and allow Harry, Ron and Hermione to figure everything out about the chamber despite the fact student's lives are in danger. This just seems inconsistent with his character.



Regardless of my criticisms, I do stand by my earlier statement that this is one of my favourite books in the series and I do really love the whole plot and think it is vital to the overall story line. Interactions between Harry, Ron and Hermione in this book is one of my favourite points in their friendship, especially when Hermione is petrified and I love how much more magic and elements of the magical world are introduced in this installment.

5 out of 5 stars 

⭐⭐⭐⭐


** all quotes and page numbers mentioned in this post are in reference to J.K. Rowling, 'Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets' (Bloomsbury Publishing, London, 2014) ISBN 978-1-4088-5566-9

Comments

  1. I have the exact same copy! The Weasleys were my favourite part too

    Ash | https://pricklypineapples.ie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're a beautiful set!! We all love the weasley's haha

      Delete
  2. I had those same issues with Myrtle and Dumbledorr. I agree though, the Weasleys really shine in this book which helps later in the series. Poor Percy, his character seems so much older it’s hard for him to fit in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I haven't treated them to harshly then!! Yes Poor Percy, oddly charming! xx

      Delete
  3. I still haven't read or seen Harry Potter, and I'm 25! This review makes me want to read the series 😅

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do it, Do it, Do it!!!!!! It's a slippery slope and you will get hooked, but it's worth it. I'm so pleased my review might have persuaded you, that means an insane amount to me xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the entire HP series, and completely agree this one gives lots of clues to what's to come that I think are very important

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

🧩 Hardback TBR 🧩

✨my classics tbr ✨

🧳 Moving back to university in Lockdown 🧳