Books I read in Lockdown: The Secret Garden (SPOILERS)

**"It was so blue and pink and pearly and white, and flooded with springtime light (page 134)


Where to start with this beautiful book?! I honestly do not think I could have chosen to read this book at a more perfect time and my heart is so warmed by it that I am thrilled to get to relive it all again for this review. I will kick off with the things I really enjoyed about this book, before moving onto why I think The Secret Garden is the perfect book to be reading right now. 

The main thing about this book, is Burnett's absolutely stunning descriptions of the blooming garden with flowers "bursting into cups of scent, spilling over themselves" (page 203) and how it just cannot fail to lift your spirits. It was a great choice of text to be reading in the spring and just reminded me of all the things I personally adore about the spring and summer months. If you like a book with highly descriptive passages that allow you to really feel immersed in a world but also that sets your imagination on fire then the power of this book is certainly not to be underestimated. All the sadness and drear of the initial dark and gothic house setting is quickly sent packing by the gorgeous garden, colourful and Burnett's full employment of language features during these passages, packing them full of visual, olfactory (smell) and auditory imagery creates such a vivid atmosphere. Who wouldn't want a secret garden full of "every shade of blue, every shade of purple and every hint and hue of crimson" (page 202) to sit amongst friends, eating picnics and be running around and laughing? The enjoyment of this book is definitely not limited to children in this regard despite the common preconception. 

This book is also of course packed with humour. The innocence of children is also very good at giving adults a source of amusement, and to begin with Mary's complete ignorance of simple concepts has an element of charm to it and does serve to raise a chuckle amongst readers. It is also the reactions of the residents of Misselthwaite manner to such an exotic and strange guest combined with their strong Yorkshire accents creates a humorous clash of lifestyles. 



At the moment, things are tough. For everyone. Wherever we are in the world our daily lives are somewhat altered by the current pandemic, but this classic and enchanting book contains some really simple but incredible messages that apply so well to all our lives. 

This book really highlights how truly vital it is to be immersed in nature and how beneficial it can be on the mind, the body and the soul. Colin's character is weak, focused on his own death and an overall unhappy child before he is introduced to the secret garden his cousin Mary has found. The natural world can mend so many ailments and restore a feeling of balance and it is so important to allow nature to relax and heal you right now, by making sure you take advantage of the limited outdoor time and exercise you are allowed - even if that's just your own garden! Colin has a beautiful realisation of the benefit that being outdoors is having on him and his innocence in attributing to magic combined with his sheer excitement and relief that the garden has saved his health and his life is the closest a book has had me to tears for a long while. 

Another theme that runs through this book is the idea of friendship and close relationships being absolutely vital for health and happiness. Before meeting, both Colin and Mary are miserable children, both too self absorbed to forge real friendships. However, it is so clear from the change in Mary as soon as she meets and becomes close with Dickon and her maid Martha that friendship has had a powerful impact on her personality. Mary and Colin make each other happier, healthier and more open to caring for other people and being concerned with their happiness. The shared experiences in the garden and in Colin's room is a really magical connection and their relationship as friends and cousins becomes really quite charming, culminating in them "begin to laugh over nothings as children will when they are happy together" (page 128), creating a really sweet and emotional scene. 

In the end, Mr Craven softens towards his son and indeed towards everyone and the over-riding message in The Secret Garden really serves to convey what it is I am aiming towards in this post;

which is that laughter and friendship and nature prevails over darkness, and selfishness and fear. So, wherever you are in the world and whatever the government rules are in your respective country during this time of lock down, take advantage of the things you are allowed to do. Appreciate nature, appreciate the people you live with, laugh with your loved ones whether that be in person or virtually, and allow the good things to prevail. 



Absolutely 5 star worthy 

⭐⭐⭐⭐






** all quotes and page numbers mentioned in this post are in reference to Francis Hodgson Burnett, 'The Secret Garden' (Penguin Threads, New York, 2011) ISBN 978-0-14-310645-6

Comments

  1. Your photos are so cute! I've never read this book - can you believe it? But your review has definitely made me want to pick it up!

    Jenny
    http://www.jennyinneverland.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never read it either until now - and I felt terrible about it. I strongly recommend that you do ;)

      Delete
  2. I read The Secret Garden ages ago, but I remember really loving it, so I purchased it for myself around two years ago. I want to say that I was hoping to reread it, but let's be honest, it was mostly because the cover was so pretty! *hides* (It's not the same as yours, but I love your edition, too.) Either way, I'm happy you enjoyed this. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover was a big selling point for me haha! It's just a beautiful book inside and out xx

      Delete
  3. It's been YEARS since I last read this book, thank you so much for the reminder! And how very relevant it is for today too, with the theme of Nature as a healer and the importance of friendship. Your edition looks absolutely beautiful - if I can't find mine I might have to treat myself again! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the Penguin 'threads' edition - they also have them for other titles including Black Beauty. It was a really great read in the current climate. Thank you so much for your kind comment xx

      Delete
  4. I read this in College for a Children’s Lit course. I remember really liking it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely story - and yes I would saying it is probably more children's lit, but it has some important messages for us all too!!!xxx

      Delete
  5. The Secret Garden was one of the books I really loved reading while growing up. It's just such a comforting, beautiful kind of book. I love how the friendship of the children grew in this story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comforting is exactly how I would describe the feeling you get while reading this, the friendship between the children is such an important message and also so lovely. I never read this as a child but I did really like the film - and I'm glad I read this as an adult because I was able to see everything the text was trying to say! xx

      Delete
  6. I read The Secret Garden as a child and remember really enjoying it! This post is making me want to reread it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad my post has made you feel that way- that means a lot to me! Thank you so much xxx

      Delete
  7. I have never read this book. But your review on the book want me to read it. Your pictures are pretty too. Thank you for sharing❤️🌺🌸

    https://prettysam1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

🧩 Hardback TBR 🧩

✨my classics tbr ✨

🧳 Moving back to university in Lockdown 🧳