Babbles about childhood Books: The Enchanted Wood & The Magic Faraway Tree (SPOILERS)

Hello everyone ðŸŒ³


Welcome to the first of a new little series of book reviews in which I will be reviewing books that I have been re-reading and enjoying from my childhood and younger reading days. In this post I'm going to review 2 short books by Enid Blyton that I absolutely adored as a child. 





The Enchanted Wood (Book 1)

This is the first book in the 'Faraway Tree' collection and was originally published in 1939. In this book, the children - Joe, Beth and Frannie - move to their new house and have fun discovering the enchanted wood and meeting the residents of the faraway tree, as well as enjoying several different lands. 

Praises

One of the great things about these books is that they are so auditory, a staple for a gripping children's read - but I'm also a sucker for a land that's really well described and especially if sounds are focused on! The trees in the enchanted wood have their distinct "wisha wisha" sounds which I absolutely love. 

This book has many important messages that are vital to instill in children but that it never hurts to remind adults of too (that is my favourite thing about children's literature). In this book the parents have little money and encourage the children to take care of their clothes and toys; the children are aware of how hard their parents work and have to help out with lots of chores. There is a hard-hitting quote in this book which is "Food was very scarce and the children did not have as much to eat as they would have liked" (page 118) - but despite this, the children are happy - because they have the outdoors to explore and great friends. 

It also shows that friends come in all shapes, sizes and appearances - even covered in saucepans!

Criticism

For me the one issue with this book is that some of the lands are very rushed through - I know this is because it is a children's book of course but for me there is a missed opportunity for some amazing descriptive passages. Simply put - this book isn't long enough for all the magic to happen!!


This is a great book but unfortunately due to the rushed feel I am giving it a 3.5 star rating 
⭐ + 1/2



The Magic Faraway Tree (Book 2)

The Magic Faraway tree is the second installment of the series and I must say this book really is magical!! I enjoyed this slightly more than The Enchanted Wood and is definitely the one I remember most from my childhood. 

Praises

This book really stood out to me due to the emphasis put on family relationships. The children are so pleased to have their cousin Rick come to stay with them and take great delight in preparing a bed etc for him. Joe in particular is thrilled to have another boy to play with and is practically jumping for joy when he says "Oh mother! What fun! When is he coming?" on page 1. 

Also, the children use the Faraway tree and it's magic to help their family. In the first book they bring back hens and a goat to provide food and in this story they visit the Land of Magic Medicines in order to help their mother get better - having previously promised not to go back up the tree - they decide "if there's a chance of something to make her better, we'll certainly go!" (page 159). They become less selfish as the book goes on and start using the tree to benefit others, taking great delight in getting each other presents in Chapter 26. 

Other small things I liked about this book was that the lands felt less rushed (due to this book being a tiny bit longer) than in The Enchanted Wood and also - this is copy specific of course - there were some really lovely illustrations in this story. 

Criticisms

Again, only one criticism and this time it is that by the end of this second book I was beginning to find poor Mr Saucepan Man and his deafness a little bit irritating and by the end it was just no longer funny that he kept bringing back the wrong things. Perhaps that is just because I am reading it as an adult however, and a younger audience would find it more amusing. 



Really enjoyed this re-read and I was very quickly transported back to reading this when I was much younger. I give this book 4 stars


Thank you so much for reading this post!! As I said at the start, this is the start of a little series I will be doing due to the fact I've started re-reading and re-buying a lot of my past favourites. There will be a post following this on the sixteenth, as there are a further 2 books in this Faraway tree series, one of which I will be buddy reading soon! Hope to see you there!!! (Part 2 here)






**all quotes and page numbers mentioned in this post are in reference to Enid Blyton, 'The Magic Faraway Tree Collection' (DEAN, Egmont UK Ltd, London, 2019) ISBN 978-0-6035-7363-7

Comments

  1. Aww what a lovely idea to revisit childhood favourites. I don't remember reading either of these but they do sound magical. I look forward to which others you revisit - I'm feeling nostalgic now. Thanks!

    Lindsey | https://aramblingreviewer.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - there's lots of other childhood re-reads and posts in the pipeline! Thank you for your kind words xx

      Delete
  2. This has brought back so many memories for me - I loved the Magic Faraway Tree as a kid but I don't think I ever read the book!

    MB | http://www.megbeth.travel.blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to make my mum repeatedly borrow the DVD out of the library! I used to have super old copies of the books but I think they got given away :( Thank you for your kind comment xx

      Delete
  3. What a brilliant idea to re-read books from your childhood! Reading this post has brought back so many lovely memories for me. I really loved these books when I was little.
    I'll look forward to reading your other posts :)
    Kathryn x
    justkathryn.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I've got lots of other posts and re-reads lined up!! Look forward to seeing you there ;) xxx

      Delete
  4. I love, love, your editions of this book! I have very old copies, but I love the story and most of Enid Blyton's other books as well. I hear you on some of the lands behind rushed through, but love how you so prettily put it at the book not being long enough for all the magic to happen. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had super old copies as a child but I think my mum donated them or something :( love the set I have now though!! I don't mind too much that it's rushed; I'd just happily read more haha xxx

      Delete
  5. I love this idea, it is so unique! I have never heard of these books before and might have to look into them for the kiddos, thank you for sharing your honest opinion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that your kids would love these! Super magical and with lovely , funny characters. There is also a DVD of the Magic Faraway Tree with short episodes/lands that I used to love that they might too!! Thank you for your kind comment xxxx

      Delete
  6. I used to love Enid Blyton books as a kid! Famous Five were my favourites

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason I never read Famous Five. I loved the Faraway tree, The Wishing Chair and Adventures on willow farm! xx

      Delete
  7. A lovely idea indeed! I used to spend my summers as a kid reading Enid Blyton Five Find-outers and a dog (Mystery) Series. This post brought back a lot of those treasured memories :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad this has such a great effect on you xxx

      Delete
  8. This is such a fun blog post idea! Lovely to read too, it's always nice to hear what kind of books other people grew up loving. Great photos :)

    Anika | chaptersofmay.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this lovely comment. I've certainly had fun doing it! xx

      Delete
  9. This is such a cute idea! I love re-reading books - I re-read A LOT but I've never thought about re-reading my books from childhood! Bet it gives you a really new and different perspective on the books you used to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a new perspective, although it does sometimes make me think I rate too harshly just because I'm fussier than a child would be!! Thank you for your lovely comment xx

      Delete
  10. I have never even heard of the series before. I am thinking of looking it up just so I can read the series and tell my daughter to read it to my granddaughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very lovely series and the characters are so cute! I highly recommend xxx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

🧩 Hardback TBR 🧩

✨my classics tbr ✨

🧳 Moving back to university in Lockdown 🧳