Books I read in Lockdown: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (SPOILERS)

“Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right, and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort."
(Page 608-9)

FIRST THINGS FIRST...
CONSIDER CHECKING OUT MY PREVIOUS REVIEWS:
HARRY POTTER AND THE PHILOSOPHER'S STONE
HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS
HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN


Hello again! I hope everyone has been having a good month, and I especially hope everyone has been enjoying their Harry Potter re-read - I have lost track of the amount of bloggers and bookstagrammers who are re-living this incredible series right now. I certainly am, so without further ado, here I am with review number 4! 

Praises

My favourite thing about this book is that it marks a significant point in the series in which the plots and characters begin to mature with their readers. The humour matures and the characters begin to explore romantic relationships (Hermione and Krum, Harry's attraction to Cho Chang), as well as the dark tone of the books continuing to increase; climaxing in the graveyard scene. Some of the humour is witty, some plain immature - "can I have a look at Uranus too, Lavender?" (page 170)- but at the perfect level for people who would be getting to this book for the first time as a young adult. My favourite quote from the whole book in this regard is during an exchange between the Weasley family..

Molly: "Your father thinks very highly of Mad-eye Moody"Fred: "Yeah, well, Dad collects plugs, doesn't he!" (page 137)

I also love all of the strange ad wonderful magical creatures that are featured and introduced in this book. Lots of dragons of course, but also Hagrid's hilarious 'Blast-ended Skrewts' and the merpeople in the second task are haunting but fascinating; "Their eyes were yellow, as were their broken teeth, and they wore thick ropes of pebbles around their necks." (page 420)

I also enjoy the hatred that Rowling is able to make me feel for Rita Skeeter.. she is WORSE than Snape in my eyes!! I hate everything from her hair, to her glasses, to the way she pops up anywhere and everywhere. I enjoy Harry's lack of patience with her and his increasing sarcasm; "Yeah, you can have a word." said Harry savagely,"Goodbye!" (page 306)

It was at this point in the writing process that I began to procrastinate and see if I could balance the book on my head... this was probably attempt 19 or something...


Criticisms

My one issue with this book is purely that some of the tasks seem a bit ludicrous! None of the students are ever taught anything about Gillyweed and clearly Harry would not have found it on his own. Also, how on earth did Krum and Fleur figure out the contents of the Golden egg? Surely, Cedric Diggory didn't tell them too? I just want to know, out of curiosity! 

Also, I want Winky to be more prevalent in later books... she's the funniest house elf! 

For me, the Goblet of Fire is one of the most exciting books; I love the characters and I love the Triwizard Tournament and the Quidditch Cup, however, I don't find it the most important or relevant overall plot wise. Nevertheless, it is one of my favourites. 

4 and a half stars

⭐⭐⭐ + 1/2




I am hoping to read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix in June, so hold fire for a while, I promise the next installment of Potter reviews will come (after a short break). It's a long book and will be tricky to read and consolidate into a review so bare with me on that one. Hope to see you there!


Bye for now x


** all quotes and page numbers mentioned in this post are in reference to J.K. Rowling, 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire' (Bloomsbury Publishing, London, 2014) ISBN 978-1-4088-5568-3

Comments

  1. I can never bring myself to like Rita Skeeter! Next to Dolores Umbridge, I really don't like her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eurgh. She is putting me off starting Order of the Phoenix so much, haha!! xx

      Delete
  2. Goblet of Fire is one of my favorites in the series and I always enjoy diving back into it :) I love the twists of the Triwizard Tournament and how it's so different from everything else you experience thus far in the series, and starting off with the Quidditch Cup is an exciting change too! There are just so many fun plot points in this book. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are - the Quidditch cup and the tournament are super fun elements of such a detailed world Rowling has built. Definitely some of the best plot elements in the series!!!! Thank you so mucuh xxx

      Delete
  3. I absolutely loved the part of this book about S.P.E.W. I'm actually really gutted that wasn't in the movie, I think it would have made a great addition! Apart from that, I don't remember much about this book. But you're right, the tasks are ridiculous!

    Jenny
    http://www.jennyinneverland.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! !! Why do they skip that out and not feature Dobby or the other house elves?!?!

      Delete
  4. HP was a staple in our house when my girls were growing up. We agonized over the wait between books. Thank you for bringing back such precious memories! I agree with you about Rita Skeeter. The only character that is more loathing in my opinion is Doris Umbridge! One of the things that I loved about this book is that it made the wizarding world more "worldly" with students coming from other places not just England.

    Anita
    Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urgh Umbridge. The only thing making me dread reading Order of the Phoenix this month!!!! This definitley gave such a new dimension to the wizarding world and placed in within the context of the whole world. xxxx

      Delete
  5. Okay, now I am hung up on it. How DID Krum and Fleur find about the second and third tasks of the tournament? Snap!
    I have been slowly re-reading the series as an adult (1 or 2 books a year) and I will be reading Half-Blood Prince very soon. I can't wait to get to this one. I actually enjoyed Order of the Phoenix a lot more than I thought I would! Happy reading!
    * Lindsay * https://singerofstories922.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a question I've had for many years. The only thing making me dread Order of the Phoenix is the length but it is one of my favourite books regardless!!! Thank you xx

      Delete
  6. Reading this post has brought back so many memories my goodness! It's been years since I read the Harry Potter books and now I want to re read them too! I might have to! I think I have most of my copies at my mums house.. I might have to get her to drop them round, haha! I've been reading so much this month (lockdown's given me loads of time to sit still haha!) and now I kinda wish I'd started reading them all at the beginning! x

    www.lovemaisie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lockdown has been a great opportunity for me and lots of others to re-read Harry Potter. If you can't get your hands on your physical copies but have a kindle or other e-reader you can get the whole collection pretty cheap now too!!

      Delete
  7. I love the Harry Potter series and have always loved it! I have then on audible so I listen to them quite a lot. The only downside to that is that the more I listen to them, the more questions I have.
    I love your review! And will be following for the next books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! It's amazing that you want to see my future reviews and it means so much to me!! I will never stop loving HP, but like you I have more questions every time xxx

      Delete
  8. I really love this book. And the film as well. I do feel like it marks a change in the pace of the series and the characters growing up.

    I fancy reading them again after reading this .

    Claire x
    www.ourfavouritejar.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one of the best in the series!!! Thanks you so much for this lovely comment, I'm glad I have inspired you somewhat. xxx

      Delete
  9. You're making me remember my hatred for Rita! She's truly terrible. I mean, not Umbridge terrible... but still terrible. I'm planning to reread these books in July (for Harry's birthday), and I'm quite looking forward to a trip down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Umbridge is the only one worse!!! It has been so wonderfully nostalgic. xxx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

🧩 Hardback TBR 🧩

✨my classics tbr ✨

🧳 Moving back to university in Lockdown 🧳