✨my classics tbr ✨

Hiya everyone...

Long time, no see! I honestly do not know where this month has gone. It's nearly the end of July already and I've barely had time to notice it go by.

However, I have now left my job and have the next 6 ish weeks to prepare for university. I have a biggg list of books to read and a chance to enjoy time with my family. With plenty of time for blogging thrown in too! 

I am a huge classics fan and from the reading list I've already received for the first term of my degree, university is going to fuel my passion even more. There are some great books on my shelf to read before September, including The Great Gatsby and Dracula!! 

With that being said. Here is my 

Classics TBR...

📚David Copperfield - Charles Dickens📚

This is Dickens' most famous bildungsroman novel and has some of his better known characters including Uriah Heep and Betsey Trotwood. The novel is all about coming of age and the journey through Copperfield's dramatic life. 

This novel is without a doubt a semi-autobiographical account of Dickens' own life including work, education and family relationships. All this lead to Dickens' claiming this book as his "favourite child".

I became keen to read this after studying and falling in love with Great Expectations and the bildungsroman genre. I learnt lots of context about Dickens during this time and this book was very prevalent during the research. 


📚Far From the Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy📚

This is a story that follows Bathsheba Everdene and her life as a farmer on a large estate in Wessex. 

Into her life come 3 different suitors - a farmer, a soldier and a shepherd. They all impact her decisions and affect her life in different ways. 

This book focuses on rural life whilst also discussing honest sexual relationships.

I want to read this because I haven't read any Hardy before and the description of this novel caught my eye. That and oh my, how gorgeous is the bee cover!!!




📚The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas📚

For me this sounds like a really thrilling read. It follows the story of Edmond Dantes who has been wrongly imprisoned for a crime he did not commit, and is confined to a grim cell.

Her becomes determined to escape and avenge the three men who imprisoned him after he learns about treasure of the Isle of Monte Cristo.

I am going to be participating in a group read for this book throughout August with a huge group of other book instagrammers and I'm excited to be ticking a book off my Tbr in such an interactive way. 



📚 Mansfield Park - Jane Austen📚

I am a big fan of Jane Austen and her novels. I absolutely fell in love with Pride and Prejudice as soon as I read it and I have watched so many TV and movie adaptions of her novels but I am still yet to read my last 1 or 2. 

This story follows the outcomes of two sisters - one marries for wealth, the other for love. 

Fanny Price grows up a poor, largely ignored girl in a rich household of her uncles. She only has her cousin Edmund as a friend and ally in her position.

Things are then rocked by the arrival of the glamourous and mischievous siblings Mr and Miss Crawford. 


📚 Middlemarch - George Eliot📚

This novel is a delicate and moving connected web of lives. 

The novel follows Dorothea Brooke (a young idealist), Dr Lydgate (a medical pioneer), and Bullstrode (a religious hypocrite with a past to hide). 

The reason I am fascinated by and drawn to this book comes back to my experience of reading Great Expectations. I adore books in which the characters are connected and play key roles in each other later fortunes and therefore I think I will enjoy this book a lot. 




📚Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte📚

This is a really important book of its time as it follows a young woman who strives to be more than the patriarchy says she should be.

Jane has a poor start in life, enduring cruel education and the reality of being an orphan. However, she is headstrong and determined and takes up a position as a governess, falls in love and is continually searching for a life richer than traditional gender norms allow.

I feel terrible that I have not yet read this book and it has been on my long running tbr for years and years. Hopefully, I will get round to it soon!




So there we have it! Just a small insight into my classics tbr (maybe I'll do a part two at some stage).

Have you read any of these?
Are any of these classics on your tbr?

Until next time
xxx



















  

Comments

  1. I don't really do classics - I'm a bit overwhelmed by them tbh! Although I'd love to read more. I think the only 2 classics I've read are Gatsby and A Catcher in the Rye. We have a huge collection of Charles Dickens though so I'd love to read David Copperfield!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can completely understand that. Jane Eyre and David Copperfield for example are HUGE but they are so compelling once you get into the stories. I wish you luck with them one day! xxx

      Delete
  2. Mansfield park is such a good read!

    Zoey | www.zoeyolivia.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read most of Jane Austen's books, but Mansfield Park is one that I haven't got round to reading yet too! Persuasion and The Catcher in the Rye are two other classics on my list!

    Serena / http://www.ramblingsofanotherunigraduate.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love her books so much!! I've never read the Catcher in the Rye but it really doesn't leap out at me for some reason :( xxx

      Delete
  4. Jane Eyre's such a great book, I hope you enjoy it! I really want to read The Count of Monte Cristo too, it's long but exciting!

    Anika | chaptersofmay.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I hope to get to reading Jane Eyre very soon!! This month I am doing a group read of The Count of Monte Cristo with some fellow bookstagrammers. We are reading it so many chapters/pages per week to break down the 1200 pages. I'm sure you could get involved if you wish to - just message @katesbookdiaries on instagram xxxx

      Delete
  5. I love a TBR pile! Great list of classics - I’ve only read a few classics and really want to get onto reading more of them. I usually read more modern fiction xx http://www.dellalovesnutella.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I never used to read any classics at all until I discovered Pride and Prejudice and now I'm hooked. Hopefully you can find a book that hooks you too!!. xxx

      Delete
  6. I need to read more classics! I still haven't read pride and prejudice (or seen any of the movies) but I think I'd love it. I also have the Iliad on my shelf but I'm kind of scared of it! You've got some great books to get through here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly once you get hooked on them you will never stop!! I have the Illiad on my list to read for university and I'm kinda nervous, haha. xx

      Delete
  7. Oh I love all of these. Far from the madding is one of my all time favourites and I read Monte Cristo in French at university (while studying chemistry living in France) and was so proud to get through it. It's really long but so full of beautifully detailed side stories, you could make 20 movies out of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so comforting to hear - I have been nervous about the length of Monte Cristo but you have made me excited to read such a beautiful book!! xx

      Delete
  8. I am a huge lover of the classics and have read every book on this list. I feel like there's a unique art attributed to the classics that was lost somewhere along the way. Not that modern books are lesser, they are just different. I have been wanting to go back and reread some of my favourites. We have a big week-long camping trip coming in September which means that I will have a lot of time to read. I think I'm going to pick a couple for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something about them that I cannot quite pinpoint that gives me a totally different feeling and emotional enjoyment than modern books. I think some of it is perhaps the element of innocence the characters have to a lot of the issues we have today. I also enjoy that they manage to be very stimulating and have adequate romantic plot lines without the need for the more sexualised writing we seem to enjoy nowadays.
      I love classics but haven't been reading them for many years so am still getting there with the list; I hope you enjoy your re-read!!! xxxx

      Delete
  9. This list sounds really good, I've always wanted to read the count of monte cristo but I never really knew what it was about! And I've always wanted to read a Jane Austin book... oops I never have!
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much <3
      I cannot recommend Jane Austen enjoy. Personally, I would start with Pride and Prejudice as it is an easier read than some of her others for example Emma, but once you get into whichever you decide to read you will be hooked on her!! xxx

      Delete
  10. Jane Eyre is such a good book! I also really loved Mansfield Park which surprised me as I'm not normally the biggest Austen fan! I'd really recommend Wuthering Heights and Adeline Mowbray if you ever fancy some more classics!

    Tash // A Girl with a View

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Wuthering Heights <3!! I am so excited to read Jane Eyre and thank you so much for your recommendations xxx

      Delete
  11. These are some great options. You can't go wrong with a bit of Dickens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reads and Ramblings29 August 2020 at 12:59

      Thank you ❤️ I love Dickens writing style and can't wait to read more of his work - and branch out further too!! xxx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

🧩 Hardback TBR 🧩

🧳 Moving back to university in Lockdown 🧳