🩸RED STACK & RUMPS🩸 (WARNING... PERIODS, BLOOD, AND LONG POST!!)

 Hi everyone! Welcome to my first lifestyle related post! Today's post is going to be a very different one to my usual content and whilst being loosely tied in with books, I've decided to use this challenge to talk about something I'm very passionate about and introduce some awareness and lifestyle to my page. I have also made the decision that from now on, my blog will not be solely focused on books and reading, as I have so many other interests and hobbies I am keen to share; but there will still be bookish content!!!

Firstly, if you aren't comfortable with discussions around blood, periods etc then this might not be the post for you; but if you're willing to stick around then hopefully you will enjoy this post and you might even learn something along the way!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


A short while ago, the #BloodyBrilliantBookStack challenge was started on Instagram by a creator called Chloe Salisbury - with the aim to raise awareness of Period Poverty and ways in which we can all support the cause. This got me thinking about my own attitudes towards periods and access to sanitary products. I am lucky enough to have always been able to consider myself financially comfortable; I live in a two parent family, who both work full time and I have been earning my own money since the age of 15. However, sanitary products are not cheap and they certainly add to the weekly grocery bills - especially if like me, there are multiple menstruating individuals in the household. 

A few months ago I stopped using disposable menstrual products. Personally this decision was not one of finances but several other reasons including my own comfort. This privilege in itself is one I am very lucky to have. In many places, where people cannot access sanitary products at all, the luxury of comfort is a concept far beyond what they are likely to ever imagine. 

🩸

So, what is period poverty?

In simple terms, period poverty is when a individual or group of people are completely unable to afford or struggle to afford any or limited sanitary/period products (pads, tampons etc).

This is an issue that affects individuals both in  the UK and around the world. Even in developed countries like the UK there are an astounding number of people still living below the poverty line (especially with the COVID-19 pandemic) and experience period poverty. 

🩸 It is estimated that an individual in the UK spends just under £5,000 on period products in their lifetime. 

🩸 Over the course of a year in the UK, 137,000 children miss at least 1 day of school due to their periods

🩸 In the UK, 1 in 10 are unable to afford sanitary protection, and 1 in 7 struggle to afford the products they need

🩸 68% of students surveyed said that it is harder for them to focus on their studies due to uncomfortable period products or fear of the embarrassment of leaking through

For many people around the world and in lesser developed countries such as Africa and people living as refugees, people have little or no access to sanitation (toilets, water, medical help) and menstruation is heavily stigmatized, and falls short of being the priority. In some countries, such as in Nepal, communities are still practising banishing rituals ( 'Chhaupadi' ) when an individual is on their period, forcing them to spend the duration of their period in a shed or mud hut so as not to bring shame or ill health onto their family!

🩸 around 50% of people in Kenya have absolutely no access to sanitary products

🩸 1 in 10 girls in Africa will permanently leave school due to their lack of products and safe hygienic toilets which has a proven link to an increase in child marriage 

🩸 in many African countries, women have gained serious or fatal infections from using dirty rags to catch their menstrual flow 



 What are 'RUMPS' and how can they help?

RUMPS stands for Reusable Menstrual Products and is an absolutely vital part of helping to tackle period poverty around the world. Providing an individual with enough reusable products for a cycle, that can be used repeatedly over a span of years will mean they have safe and appropriate products and eliminates the pressure of monthly access and expense. Reusable menstrual products have great minimum life spans which can also be exceeded when looked after really well. 

There are many schemes that donate products to Africa and Asia, and that teach them how to make their own products. In England, the government has provided all schools, colleges etc with the ability to order menstrual products both disposable or reusable for children who express a need for them, free of charge. 

As well as finances, reusable products increase comfort during periods - no itching, chemicals or the need to change as regularly as a disposable pad or tampon. This would aid students focus at school and in their studies. The aesthetics of the products also helps to make individuals feel better about their period and find the patterns more cheerful.   





Are RUMPS less convenient? 

Nope, Nope, Nope! 

They are just as easy to use as disposable products and just as discreet. 

Just like disposable pads and tampons, cloth pads, tampons and menstrual cups can be easily popped into small bags to take out and about with you or for school and work. Cloth pads fold and popper up into little squares that you can easily put in your bag. Cups usually come with their own little drawstring pouch that is discreet and super easy to put in your handbag. 

Washing/cleaning is not as high maintenance as many people way worry it will be. Cloth pads can be soaked (or not) during you period and simply washed all together in the washing machine on their own or with your underwear at the end of the week. 

🩸


I definitely encourage you all to research reusable menstrual products and do your own research into why you should switch. I will do more posts on this in the future around storage, cleaning, what product options there are as this is something I am personally passionate about!!

Also, there are services that you can use to donate products or give money that will be used to donate products and underwear to people in need so that is also a worthwhile search. 

Until next time xx

Comments

  1. I don't currently have periods due to the pill I'm on, so I don't need to use anything but if I did, I'd probably like to try a menstrual cup or something like that. I don't use tampons and pads can definitely get a bit messy! I really want to research foundations and things that try and help those suffering with period poverty because it's so awful to think that people don't have the means for the products. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! It is a super important issue and definitely something we should all think about. If you are interested in menstrual cups for if/when you resume your periods then Lunette UK do a 'Buy One, Give One' cup - you purchase the cup and they donate one to a girl in need.
      https://uk.lunette.com/collections/lunette-menstrual-cups/products/monki-x-lunette-x-the-cup

      Delete
  2. I appreciate you talking about this particular subject. It's not one that gets shared often enough, and it really breaks my heart that so many women around the world don't have what should be easily available to them. I also don't know much about reusable products, so this was helpful to learn about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you that's very kind. I am hoping this blog will talk about the taboo and educate people. Glad you were able to learn something from my post too!! xx

      Delete
  3. I love seeing more people talking about reusable products, but these stats never fail to break my heart. Never for a second can I forger my privilage of having access to all these products without difficulty. Now imagine if every young girl would have access to these products during their periods--no matter where in the world they are...my goodness what a different world it would be for women.

    Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reads and Ramblings24 August 2020 at 08:57

      It is devasting !!! Especially as without the government and some of the fantastic charities helping menstruating people in poorer countries, they couldn't access these fantastic reusable products either. I will continue to use this blog to raise awareness!!!!

      Delete
  4. Here in South Africa many girls have this exact problem. The government does give out free pads in some school, but not all. The high school that I went to did give out free pads but then you had to go to the office to ask for it, and that can be embarrassing. Luckily my parents could afford sanitary products.

    Also, only recently (I think it was this year) did sanitary products become tax exempted here in South Africa. I think it's ludicrous. Women don't choose to have periods, it's something that we just have to deal with.

    Thank you for this post, it was very insightful.

    All the best from South Africa. Michelle (michellesclutterbox.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reads and Ramblings24 August 2020 at 09:00

      Wow its great to hear from someone living in south africa. Myself I am english so my experience of period poverty was limited prior to research although I do remember a few girls in high school who borrowed A LOT of pads from me. I guess perhaps I was witnessing period poverty then. Here in the UK the government only recently launched the scheme to give schools the ability to order sanitary kits for young people for free. Its shocking!!!!

      Delete
  5. Hi, I really appreciated this topic, it is so important to raise awareness! There were plenty of debates about period poverty here in Italy too, I hope that one day this situation will find a solution!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reads and Ramblings26 August 2020 at 14:08

      Thank you so much - keep an eye out for more. It's going to feature lots on my blog. I hope so too - it is an issue that people across the world really shouldn't have to face! xx

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much for talking about this as I agree - discussion about periods is still considered taboo which has all kinds of negative impact. First in the sense of period poverty as you've explained but also in terms of what's normal and what isn't. (The latter might have saved me a lot of stress later on!)

    I appreciate the work that our government has put in in terms of making sanitary products available in schools for free however... When I was younger I felt so much shame about my periods that I didn't even feel like I could ask my mum for supplies let alone some random at school!

    I planned to switch to reusable pads after having my son but then life got in the way and long story short; to keep my endometriosis under control I don't have periods at all anymore. But I still think they're super cool! In another life for sure, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this lovely comment. The government are trying hard to fight this in schools which is super important especially for young people who feel uncomfortable discussing with their parents or don't have many trusted adult figures in their life. However most people find it more comfortable to ask a friend - I know I would! Reusable pads are super cool and I love them - they have transformed my periods! xxx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

🧩 Hardback TBR 🧩

🧳 Moving back to university in Lockdown 🧳

✨my classics tbr ✨