🧡Top tips for when you're 'too busy' to read🧡

Hi all! Back with another book/lifestyle post today all about fitting reading into your life. This was chosen from a poll by my Instagram followers as today's post - I hope you enjoy!!



✈️ USE YOUR JOURNEY OR COMMUTE 🚎

Personally I used to get the bus to work several times a week, and I don't drive, so I also had to get the bus into the city centre or get lifts everywhere! This is a golden opportunity for reading. Pop a book or kindle into your bag and you're all set. A great chance to squeeze in 10 minutes or even an hour depending on the length of your journey. I hope I don't need to point this out - but obviously do not do this if you are the driver!


🛏️ BEFORE BEDTIME 🧸

The hour or so before bed is an ideal time to sneak in some reading. Put your phone down/away/onto night mode and fit in a few chapters before you sleep. It will make you feel more relaxed and cosy, and stop the disruptive stimulation from your phone. You could also try doing this first thing in the morning after waking up instead of reaching for you phone. Leave a book near the bed and this should be super easy!!


🧑🏾‍🤝‍🧑🏻 GROUP READS & READATHONS 🧑🏼‍🤝‍🧑🏻

All over Instagram and Twitter people take part in a huge range of readathons and group/buddy reads. I find these super motivational and it's great for the reading experience to be interactive and to be able to discuss the books with fellow readers. These aren't too pressurised - most readathons span a number of weeks or a month - and group read can take any length of time the group wishes ( I am currently participating in a group read spanning August and September!) 


🎧 AUDIO BOOKS 📼

I want to start by saying that I am not a fan of audio books personally and I don't routinely use them. I have tried them but found I prefer to read a physical book or use a device to read. However, audio books are really great for commutes/journeys and also for multi-tasking; I know people who listen to audio books while doing housework or walking to the shops etc. Worth a try, huh? Especially as an audio book will take a set amount of time (e.g. 7 hours) therefore, you will know if you have time to fit it in/around your day! 


📱 APPLE BOOKS AND KINDLES 🔋

Back when I had an iPhone I used to use Apple Books. The book was downloaded straight onto your phone and you simply read it on your device like you would a kindle. There was often great deals on books such as 99p books and it was great for my lunch breaks at work and again for commutes etc. Nowadays I use my kindle and it is just as easy to carry around in its little sleeve and pop into my bag. Advantages are of course the amount of books it can store, and amazon especially do lots of great offers and deals on kindle books. 


I hope perhaps one or more of these tips helped you in some way. If you have any other tips for how you fit reading into your busy lives then I'd love to hear them!

xxx

Comments

  1. I know that you mentioned audiobooks aren't your cup of tea, but goodness - I LOVE them. I never thought I would, but they've been so beneficial in my everyday life. I can listen to a book while doing just about anything - and now I've substituted listening to music (most of the time) for a great story. I also read before bed every single night. No screens for this gal - a book is where it's at! Good tips :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reads and Ramblings26 August 2020 at 14:03

      I can COMPLETELY see the attraction to them. It's purely just that personally I've always been a visual learner/reader over an auditory one!! I don't absorb it from listening, so it would be a wasted experience :( xxx

      Delete
  2. I miss reading during a commute, I guess driving has its pros and cons! Reading before bed is a great way to fit it in, and always helps me wind down (even though on a kindle). The only problem with reading a great book before bed, is you don't want to put it down!

    Great tips for reading more!

    Aimsy xoxo
    Aimsy’s Antics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reads and Ramblings26 August 2020 at 14:04

      Absolutely!! I've found myself still awake reading in the early hour if I'm enjoying my book!!! Being able to read it definitely a pro of not driving, haha xxx

      Delete
  3. I have been reading a lot at bed time, I find it really helps me wind down from the day x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reads and Ramblings26 August 2020 at 14:05

      Definitely more beneficial than a phone, tv etc xxx

      Delete
  4. These are some great tips. I used to use my lunch break for reading when I worked full time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reads and Ramblings26 August 2020 at 14:06

      I used to look forward to my breaks all day when I was reading a really good book!! xx

      Delete
  5. Excellent advice! I really ought to try reading more before bed. I always have great intentions with books but need to follow through more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reads and Ramblings26 August 2020 at 14:07

      Reading before bed is definitely a great idea, even if its only a few pages. Better than the tv or a phone!! xx

      Delete
  6. I love reading so much but I have a hard time balancing it with everything else especially when my life is more hectic. So this post is really useful! I’ve never tried audio books before so I’ll have to give them a try. Thank you for sharing ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reads and Ramblings29 August 2020 at 12:47

      I have had huge reading slumps during stressful and manic points in my life. I've only really started reading again this year due to lockdown but I had pretty much been in a slump for 3 years!!!!! Try and experiment with genre, as well as reading formats (aka audiobook) and I'm sure you'll find your grove again! x xxx ❤️

      Delete
  7. Great tips! I'm a big fan of reading before bed. I just keep my Kindle on the nightstand. I have tried audio books as well, but I find I really dislike them for non-fiction books (which is usually my preference for books). I think it's because I'm more of a visual learner. I have tried audio fiction books when on a long plane trip before though and that's nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reads and Ramblings29 August 2020 at 12:58

      Thank you ❤️ I love non fiction too but it has to be a physical copy for me !!! xx

      Delete
  8. I always try to read a little bit before I go to bed and I even find it helps me sleep easier 😊

    🌿 Marissa Belle × marsybun.com 🌿

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reads and Ramblings30 August 2020 at 13:15

      It definitely helps sleep!! Better than being on your phone until right before you sleep! xxx

      Delete
  9. Some great tips here. Reading before bed has made all the difference to me! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

🧩 Hardback TBR 🧩

🧳 Moving back to university in Lockdown 🧳

✨my classics tbr ✨