Uni Reading Module 1 - mini reviews!!

hi everyone! 

A few weeks ago I held an Instagram poll asking whether people would be interested in seeing mini reviews of the books on my first year university reading list. I am starting my degree in September and have been enjoying reading the books in preparation to start! 

Lots of people were interested, so here is the first part!! Part 2 will be up very soon - I have 1 more book to finish. 


Module 1 - Intro to Literary Studies


> Girl Meets Boy - Ali Smith (2007)


This book is a modern retelling of Ovid's 'Metamorphoses', re telling the myth of Iphis and Ianthe, through Anthea and her gender queer partner Robin. 

Everything in this book is about challenging normal expectations and the wonder of fluidity, from the characters to the unique style of narration. There are many important themes such as feminism, activism, gender identity, sexuality, sexual harassment and homophobia. 

The water motif that runs through the book is a really beautiful portrayal of fluidity and contrasts with the strict rigidity of Anthea's work life. 

However these breaks from conventional punctuation and narration made this a hard book for me personally to enjoy and it felt very rushed and manic. 

3 stars


> The Turn of the Screw - Henry James (1898)


This book is an early gothic example of a ghost/possession story. There were many conventional gothic fear factors - a huge house, orphans and ghosts. However something else I enjoyed about it was that the fears come not only from the supernatural but societal threats - the idea that one of the ghosts may have been a paedophilic sexual predator and sexual deviant added a new layer of fear to the plot. 

The invasion/possession of children is something transgressive and shows the governesses fears about harm coming to the children in her care. 

Overall this book was really gripping and I really enjoyed James' writing style. 

4 stars


Hopefully, I will be back with my Module 2 reads very soon!!

Until next time

xxx

Comments

  1. Great reviews, I haven't read either but they definitely sound like two to look into, especially The Turn of the Screw! Wishing you the best for second year :)

    Anika | chaptersofmay.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! The Turn of the Screw did really surprise me - I didn't think I'd be gripped by it at all but it was amazing!! xxx

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, starting university is such an exciting time! I wish you all the best with your studies.

    I haven't read either of these but I love Gothic literature so I should probably check out The Turn of the Screw at some point. Can't wait to see your module 2 mini reviews. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! I'm really excited about starting uni and my module 2 reviews will hopefully be up next week - hope to see you there! xx

      Delete
  3. I havent read either of these but they sound good! All the best for second year!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! The Turn of the Screw especially really surprised me but Girl Meets Boy was pretty good too! xxx

      Delete
  4. Ooh these sound really interesting! We did a little bit on Ovid's Metamorphoses and read a lot of epyllion poems which I loved - really recommend Hero and Leander!

    Tash // A Girl with a View

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were both very interesting in their own ways and The Turn of the Screw was really gripping. Metamorphoses in on my module 4 texts so I'll get round to it soon!!! xxx

      Delete
  5. Oo, I haven't read these but they sound great! I studied Gothic Literature during sixth form, yet never got around to reading The Turn of the Shrew. It's one that's been on my TBR for a loong time!

    Thanks for sharing, Sophie x | www.loveandliterature.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved doing Gothic lit during sixth form - I read Frankenstein, Dracula, Rebecca, Jekyll and Hyde and The Woman in Black!! Glad I got to read Turn of the Screw now too - it is really gripping!!

      Delete
  6. I love that The Turn of the Screw goes back to the beginning of gothic style ghost stories. Will be checking it out; I love chilling reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great to read early texts however if you want earliest gothic then you should read The Castle of Otranto too!! xxx

      Delete
  7. Great reviews - I haven't actually read either any of these books but I did see The Turn of the Screw at the theatre years ago, it's such a gripping story!

    Serena / http://www.ramblingsofanotherunigraduate.com/mini-book-reviews-10/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I would love to see it at the theatre - it would be amazing!! xx

      Delete
  8. Great reviews! Not much of an avid reader but your reviews are really nice to read and make me want to start again. Thanks for sharing!

    MagicandBliss | https://magicandbliss.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awh thank you I'm glad they were accessible to you. Both of these books are really short so they might be a great option for you!! xxx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

🧩 Hardback TBR 🧩

✨my classics tbr ✨

🧳 Moving back to university in Lockdown 🧳