✨Review - The Midnight Library - Matt Haig ✨(minor spoilers)

 good evening!

Back with a bookish post for the first time in a little while, as I've finally managed to get back on track with reading.

I adore Matt Haig's writing and this book was no different! I received it for Christmas after seeing people all over bookstagram reading and reviewing it and saying such great things. I was really intrigued by the plot and drawn to its gorgeous cover - it just had to go on my Christmas list! (Haig's books always have gorgeous covers which I just love).

Where to start with this book?! I loved it! 

I thought that Nora was a really likeable character and a really well built character too - she had a detailed personality and lots of hopes, dreams and backstory. I really felt for her during the whole book. Haig wrote her emotions so vividly that there were times when I had to take small breaks from the book because he created such overwhelming sections. The Book of Regrets was an incredibly clever and powerful element of the story and I really did feel as overwhelmed as Nora when the power of the regrets started to overcome her. 

I loved the different potential lives of Nora that Haig portrayed, he really showed a range of directions that life can take us in, some hard and disappointing like a failed relationship, some tragic like the death of a friend, and some exciting and funny like a near miss with a polar bear. He showed really well how anything that happens in life creates moments and lessons worth taking away and there is something to be gained from every experience. 

The layout of the book was really easy to read, I liked the short chapters and Nora's updates, and I really liked the design of the book - underneath the dustcover is green to match the books in the Midnight Library, and it is styled as a library book which makes it even more gorgeous. 


I won't say too much more because I'm conscious of spoilers, but I definitely recommend this book if you haven't read it already, Matt Haig is so good at mental health representation and the is definitely a book that stays with you! 

5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Until next time
xxx









Comments

  1. I'm so very glad you enjoyed this book. It was one of my favorites of 2020 and definitely had a massive impact on me, personally. As someone who has dealt with depression for most of my life, it was really an important and life-changing read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so impactful - and I LOVE how it was still simple, quick and not overly complicated or heavy, especially important for anyone dealing with similar issues. Thank you for sharing that. xx

      Delete
  2. I love how you brought up the short chapters! i really love those! I always think 'oh I can just read one more' when they're short!

    Katie | katieemmabeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I got through it so fast because of how short the chapters were! xx

      Delete
  3. I've been seeing this everywhere and I have always been weary of new books that get a lot of hype. You made me put it on my TBR though :) I enjoy reading about well rounded characters and Nora sounds to be one from your review. Also, the main character in one other book I read a few days ago was named Nora and I like having some kind of continuity in my books haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The name Nora seems to be popping up everywhere for me at the moment! How strange! It is definitely a book I'd recommend to everyone, I don't usually read new/hyped/popular books either but I know I love Matt Haig so this was an exception! I hope you get to enjoy it soon! xx

      Delete
  4. I've seen this book around so many times and I've been on the edge about reading it... You pushed me over it, I think I'm going to get it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely do!! I'm so glad you could be persuaded by my review, it means a lot, thank you xx

      Delete
  5. Lovely review, Beth 💚 your enthusiasm shines through.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

🧩 Hardback TBR 🧩

✨my classics tbr ✨

🧳 Moving back to university in Lockdown 🧳