Uni reading Module 2 - mini reviews!!

 hi everyone! 

A few months ago I posted my Uni Reading Module 1 mini reviews after it was requested on my Instagram poll. I promised to be back with Module 2 and I've only just now gotten round to it - sorry about that! 

If you don't already know or haven't read many of my other posts - I am a BA English Literature student and I have a really varied reading list, with some personal favourites of mine and some brand new reads too!

Module 2 - The Gothic: Transgressive to Shock


>The Castle of Otranto - Horace Walpole (1764)


This is hailed as the first gothic novel and it has such an interesting back story which I definitely encourage you to look into. 

This is a very typical novel of incest, secret passages, tyranny and death. Spooky paintings and a curse, a damsel chased around a castle. Reading it nowadays it's quite amusing  - I liked it!


>Dracula - Bram Stoker (1897)


This is a really exciting gothic read. It's a little slow to start I must admit but once you get past that point it is really pacey and non-stop action.

There is so much going on in this book! Vampires, adventure and danger on the surface, and plenty of issues underneath to get your brain whirring - gender issues, race, and latent homosexuality.
4.5  



>Northanger Abbey - Jane Austen (1817



I'm a big fan of Austen at the best of times, but this book is something else! and actually her first novel, which is all the more impressive. 

This is a hilarious parody of the gothic genre and its ability to create hysterical, overly imaginative women. Catherine Morland really does get herself in some situations - including accusing her future father-in-law of murder! 


>The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett (1911)


I absolutely adore this book. It is beautiful and poignant and has so many important messages about race, class and strength. Never have I encountered such gorgeous, vibrant descriptions of nature before and all that it symbolises. 

This has both the eerie suspense of potential supernatural and the heart-warming elements of family and personal growth. One of my favourite classics!

I actually wrote a full review of this back in April which you can find here
5



>The Strange Case of Dr.Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Robert L, Stevenson (1886)


I'm not the hugest fan of this book! I find it slow and the action only culminates in the final few chapters and then is really rushed through. I often find novellas frustrating for this reason!

However, it is a really fascinating insight into attitudes towards science at the time and if you love tense and psychological, with lots of doubling of features and metaphors then this is a great read. 
3.5 


>The Last Werewolf - Glen Duncan (2001)

This is the only book we haven't gotten to studying yet on the course and will be doing so next week. I haven't fully finished it yet but I'm a little way through and it's very much like Dracula, but with werewolves instead of vampires. 

It's quite violent and sexual for a YA novel but it's interesting to see how gothic is changed and adapted for such audiences, and there is quite a few humorous areas. 
3.5 ⭐ so far 

~

That's a wrap!! I promise that next month I will do my Module 3 reviews, which is probably my favourite reading list and I've discovered some really amazing texts!!

Until next time 
xx










Comments

  1. Alright, so I'm like the worst bookworm ever because I really don't care much for classics. I've read plenty of them because of school, but the only ones that ever stood out to me were Alcott's works (and Little Women wasn't even my favorite of hers - oops)! However, I do hope to one day read Dracula. I don't mind a good gothic tale and I've always loved Dracula in films, so I should probably introduce myself to the original story haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, this used to be me!!! I felt like the worst literature student ever because I'd read barely anything that is usually defined as English literature! But I was missing out and so are you - there's a reason these authors are hailed as the greats. Dracula is AMAZING and I'm gutted I only just discovered it, I was missing out for a long time. It's also a great intro to gothic lit (although I'd read many beforehand) and might lead you to other amazing books. Little Women is meh for me but I definitely need to explore more of Alcott's work. Best of luck with it lovely, I hope you find some classics you really enjoy!!!! xxxxxxx

      Delete
  2. I don't like reading usually, but these reviews made me want to pick up a book and read, especially the secret garden as you rated it so high.

    Shannon From www.shansaidso.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Hearing things like that really means the world to me. I cannot rate The Secret Garden enough and it's great if you aren't a big gothic reader as it is aimed at children, but I cannot stress enough how many vital messages about life and growth there is in it for adults to enjoy. Best of luck with the reading! xxxx

      Delete
  3. I'm so guilty of not having read many classics! I think I had a children's version of The Secret Garden when I was younger so I should give that a go - thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This used to be me - I never started reading classics until I was about 16 but now I cannot get enough and the range is much bigger than people assume. The Secret Garden would be a great start if you're looking to start reading classics!!! Thank you so much - your comment means so much. xxxx

      Delete
  4. I haven’t heard of these but they sound like interesting books. I haven’t read any classics I don’t think, oops! 🙉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a niche - but I believe there's a classic out there for everyone!!! xxx

      Delete
  5. These are some great mini reviews. I don't usually read that many classics but I absolutely love The Secret Garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great mini reviews! I really want to read The Secret Garden, it's a favourite for so many!

    Anika | chaptersofmay.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful - and there are so many beautiful universal messages in it. Definitley worth a read - it's quite short and easy to read for a classic too! xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

🧳 Moving back to university in Lockdown 🧳

🧩 Hardback TBR 🧩

✨my classics tbr ✨